The dreaded question: Should you wear brown shoes or black? Whether it is casual or dress, we often have a hard time determining what color shoe we should go with. Here are some helpful hints that will hopefully point you in the right direction.
1. Begin with the color of the clothing itself. If you are gearing toward mostly neutrals, the easiest option is brown. If you are in a gray or charcoal suit, the best choice would be black.
2. If wearing blue, things can get a little confusing. I recommend a black shoe with a darker navy or bold blue suit. If you are wearing a navy pant and sky blue dress shirt without a tie, try the more casual brown shoe.
3. Are you adding vibrant colors to your outfit such as red or purple? Generally these bold choices should lead you to the black shoe.
4. Ask yourself what belt seems appropriate? It is best to match your shoes to your belt when possible.
5. If you are wearing a lighter neutral suit, maybe try the black shoe and belt for a bold statement. If the dress is more casual, (sans suit), choose the brown.
When in doubt, ask someone. That is what the mirror selfie is for after all, right?
Dress Well! Be Well!