1. Rotation: Keep a stock of enough shirts so you are able to rotate them throughout the week. I recommend at least 5 shirts for a normal work week.
2. Launder less: No matter if you wash at home or send them out, do it less often. The more you launder, the faster you will wear down the fibers in the shirt. Try to get 2-3 wears out of a shirt before you wash it. Only wash once it smells that it needs it.
3. Treat stains immediately: If you see a stain, take care of it before it sets. Carry a stain stick with you or keep one in your desk at work.
4. Avoid starch: Starching also wears down the fibers of the shirt and will shorten the life of the shirt. Buy top quality dress shirts and you won’t need to add the chemicals.
5. Shampoo: Yes, you read that right. Treat ring around the collar with a clarifying shampoo before laundering to break down the oil that creates the problem in the first place.
Many customers ask us which of our shirting fabrics “hold starch the most”. I tend to answer this question with a question. “Why exactly do you want or need to starch your dress shirt?” The most important thing to remember is that the regular use of starch drastically reduces the lifespan of your shirts. So, is it worth it?
If you feel you must starch the body and sleeves of the shirt for wrinkling, chances are the fabric quality and thread count is quite low. If you feel that the cuff and collar are in need of being pressed, perhaps the interfacing (also known as fusing) is the culprit. A higher quality fusing can quickly resolve this. Read here about our high quality German interfacing.
My advice to these customers is to buy a high thread count quality dress shirt and insist in having a reinforced collar and cuff. We have some great options in our Deluxe and Luxury fabric lines. The higher the thread count, the less wrinkling. If you do, however choose to continue with starching your shirts, try a light starch or do it less often.
Dress well! Be well!
Follow me on Twitter for more style tips! @BestCustomShirt
Winter white is a great option for staying in style during the colder months. There are some tricks to pull it off, though. Here are some of our thoughts.
1. Choose a heavier white fabric like white denim or wool for pants. We also love an off-white wool sweater or cardigan. No lightweight white linen please. For one thing, you will feel the winter chill roll through the fabric but it will also appear out of place in freezing temps.
2. Generally we don’t advise layering too many dark fabrics on your upper body while keeping things white and light on the lower portion. It is hard to pull off. So how is it this guy looks so dapper, you ask?
Simple, he added a solid colored shirt with a white collar. I might have chosen a neutral toned coat instead of navy, myself.
3. Try a speckled “whitish” sweater on top to look and feel cozy. It isn’t exactly winter white. Perhaps it is even better.
4. Adding neutrals to the rest of the body helps to create a soft minimalist style with a pair of crisp white chinos.
What is so great about white pants? For one thing, you usually don’t wear them often throughout the year so they will likely stay in tact if you find a nice durable pair.
Dress Well! Be Well!
Follow me on Twitter for more style tips @BestCustomShirt
If you are anything like my husband, the thought of layering is a bit scary. With a few good tips layering over and under your custom dress shirt may become a little less daunting.
1. Keep the shirt tail of the bottom layer shorter than that of the top layer. If wearing a sweater or vest, make sure the tail of the under-layer doesn’t peek out.
2. Keep it comfortable and allow movement. Each piece should have a comfortable fit on it’s own but allow enough room once it is layered for free movement. Don’t purchase a sweater without making sure you can comfortably wearing that button down beneath it.
3. Make sure it is easy to remove a layer or two. In case your day heats up make sure the under layer looks crisp and can go solo.
4. When playing with color, try to go from one extreme to the other. Try lightest to darkest. A light colored shirt, medium sweater, and dark colored coat is a great start or try going the other direction altogether.
5. Don’t try too many bold colors. Two at the most is my recommendation.
Trendy Tip: Try a skinny tie under a sweater for a modern and youthful look.
Layering questions? Leave me a comment!
Dress Well! Be Well!
Follow me on Twitter for more style advice @BestCustomShirt
Ever wondered why you get compliments when wearing a certain shirt or color? Ever wonder why you feel you look less than stellar in another shirt? A man with fair hair and skin may look tired and washed out in white while a man with a darker complexion may look young and vibrant. Understanding your complexion is essential to choosing flattering dress shirt and tie combinations.
Cool Undertones: Fair Complexion, Light to Medium Hair and Eye Color
You have a fair complexion with cool undertones. Your hair color may be platinum, ash blond, silver or ash brown, with blue, gray or soft brown eyes. Softer color dress shirts look best on you. Opt for ivory instead of white, and try pastel colors such as pink, blue, lavender, gray and soft yellow.
Here are some soft color choices for you:
Cool Undertones: Deeper Skin Tone or High Contrast between Hair, Eye and Skin Color
You have a deeper skin tone or a high contrast between your hair color, eye color and skin tone. A bright white shirt is a great choice for your custom dress shirt , as are clear, powerful colors like blue, yellow, pink, purple, gray and black.
Here are some great choices for you to wear from our current fabric selections.
Golden Undertones: Golden Brown or Red Hair and Blue or Green Eyes
You have a golden complexion. You may have blue or green eyes, and golden brown or red hair. To look your best, wear a cream dress shirt and clear colors like blue, peach, golden yellow, violet and sea foam green.
Warm Undertones: Earth Tone Hair, Eyes and Skin
You have an earth tone quality to your coloration and look best in warm, muted colors. Wear ecru instead of white, as well as French blue, salmon, marigold, brown and teal.
Please feel free to send me questions regarding other color choices and let me know if you have trouble finding them on our website! Start your custom shirt order by clicking HERE!
Keeping your style current is easy if you add a trending color. Play it cool with the Cobalt Blue. There are endless ways to add this hue to your wardrobe to update your closet. Here are just a few ideas from head to toe.
1.Tip your hat: If you are a man who wears many hats, why not make one of them Cobalt Blue?
2.Perfect Fitting Dress Shirt: Although we call it “French Blue” we offer this shade in many textures here.
3.Say it with a Tie: Perk up that classic suit with a bold tie in Cobalt. We offer a beautiful Twill Cobalt tie like the one below here.
4.Suit it up OR add Cobalt Kicks: Maybe choose one or the other but we do love these shoes.
Let me know your thoughts on this color.
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram for Fashion Tips and Inspiration.
Your choice of neck tie knot can be a touchy subject if you ask your Pops. I have found that change for the old man may not be his forte’.
If you were fortunate enough to have your Dad around when you got that first gig, he most likely taught you the knot of his choice. But did you know that the collar style of your custom dress shirt itself can actually point you in the right direction?
The Casual Approach
When you are working with the less dressy look of our Button Down Collar or even the Hidden Button Down, your tie knot choice should also be a little more laid back. You may automatically think of the old standby, Four In Hand. Here is a nice twist on the usual called the Double Four In Hand.
I know. I know. Not ready to let go of summer just yet are you? Well, you can continue to take those evening strolls while the sun is fading, venturing home to your favorite high gravity beer while your custom shirts are being tailored in the latest release of the Fall 2015 PANTONE colors!
Lee Eiseman explains how the Pantone colors are finally masculine enough for your closet. “The Fall 2015 palette is rooted in multi-faceted androgenous colors that portray a kind of effortless sophistication and it’s across both men’s and women’s palettes. It’s the first time, actually, that we are seeing a completely unisex color palette.”
Here are our gorgeous fabric swatch selections that should be on your next order. Although we show one example per Pantone item, there are many more to choose from.
The dressier fabric choices are of course the solid and stripes but we also offer these colors in the more casual checks, plaids, and flannel fabrics.
When you are ready to go to the next level and get the promotion that you have always wanted, you need to be sure that you are dressing like an executive. As a member of an executive team, you need to be able to blend in with your co-workers. You do not want to appear to be shabbily dressed when they are dressed in custom shirts. It is important that you dress to impress.
Executive custom shirts can give you the style that you need to help you get that promotion. When others view you as a person who can be in a position of authority, they are more likely to consider you for the job.
Remember, most executives want to hire a person who they can picture as a valuable co-worker. They want someone who does not need to be coached. They want a potential executive who already looks as though he or she is an executive.
Custom dress shirts can help you get the promotion
Custom dress shirts can help you fit in with others at the office. You will also have the confidence of knowing that you are dressed appropriately – an important factor for a corporate job. Your co-workers and executives will feel that you have good judgment and great taste, necessary qualifications for their next hire.
Match your custom dress shirts with your suits
As soon as you feel that you are ready to go for a promotion, you should consider visiting a professional stylist and having custom shirts designed to match your suits.
Clothing speaks volume about you
The elegant designs of the shirts will indicate that you are preparing for something more. You are also showing that you are in the position to handle additional challenges and that you can meet expectations.
How many shirts do you need to have in your wardrobe?
Be sure that you have enough shirts to wear every day at work, because consistency is important. Although some people feel that attire is secondary to performance, attire can be viewed as a component of performance at work, especially if your position will require that you work with clients or work with the public.
Why to have a well polished look?
Custom shirts help to set the tone for executives who know that they deserve a promotion, and with a well-polished look, you may be well on your way to landing that promotion.