As we head into the new year, we truly hope the worst men’s fashion trends of 2015 (and some that have continued into this year from years ago!) will finally come to an end. What are they and how can you avoid these awful faux pas?
I’m sure at this point you have pulled the sweaters out. Today’s style inspiration comes from those sweaters with the super cool professor-like elbow patches. They are great for layering and staying warm this winter.
Here are some real beauties we found. Best news yet? There are three ways to acquire one.
1. Purchase one (duh)
2. Mention it as a gift idea this holiday season.
3. Simply add some elbow patches to your favorite sweater or cardigan.
Gift certificates may be a quick and easy gift to give but are they still considered too impersonal?
In recent years the negative stigma of gift certificates has begun to fade and many thoughtful friends and family have realized it may actually be the perfect gift. Although you may not know what the recipient would buy within a certain shop, you most likely know where it is they prefer to shop. In my opinion, as long as you are gearing the gift certificate toward their interests, you are in great shape. Now, have I mentioned we offer gift certificates? Click here to find the link to share with YOUR friends and family.
Adding socks with interest to your wardrobe may just be the easiest and most cost effective way to create more daily style. Whether you opt for prints or brightly colored solids, an ankle peek of interest is well worth the small investment. Here are some of our favorites.
Trending solids colors.
Why not get crazy with a brightly colored pattern?
Tired of navy suits, brown tweed sport coats, and camel topcoats? Let’s give Olive Green a shot why don’t we? It can be paired with almost every color as it is now considered a neutral. It looks great with blues of all shades and can be paired with black OR brown.
Dress Well! Be Well!
Follow me on Twitter for more style and dressing tips
If you are anything like my husband, the thought of layering is a bit scary. With a few good tips layering over and under your custom dress shirt may become a little less daunting.
1. Keep the shirt tail of the bottom layer shorter than that of the top layer. If wearing a sweater or vest, make sure the tail of the under-layer doesn’t peek out.
2. Keep it comfortable and allow movement. Each piece should have a comfortable fit on it’s own but allow enough room once it is layered for free movement. Don’t purchase a sweater without making sure you can comfortably wearing that button down beneath it.
3. Make sure it is easy to remove a layer or two. In case your day heats up make sure the under layer looks crisp and can go solo.
4. When playing with color, try to go from one extreme to the other. Try lightest to darkest. A light colored shirt, medium sweater, and dark colored coat is a great start or try going the other direction altogether.
5. Don’t try too many bold colors. Two at the most is my recommendation.
Trendy Tip: Try a skinny tie under a sweater for a modern and youthful look.
Layering questions? Leave me a comment!
Dress Well! Be Well!
Follow me on Twitter for more style advice @BestCustomShirt
Some of us hang on to summer and reluctantly give in to Fall Fashion while others jump in with both feet. I myself am looking forward to layering on the scarves and hats!
This year, the men’s fashion trend is head to toe neutrals. Chances are that you have lots of neutrals already in your closet which really makes this trend an easy one to follow. If not, we have tons of new shirting fabrics in from Italy in Ivory, Ecru, and Tan which makes it easy to order a new custom dress shirt and have it by the time you pull out the Camel blazer.
Here are some ideas for Fall menswear inspiration.
Many things on the men’s runway for this season cannot reasonable carry over into your workweek wardrobe like fur, shearling, or velvet coats. (If you do work in this type of environment, please send us some pics!) There are, however some items I truly think you should consider working into your wardrobe this fall. I chose 5 and recommend you pick up 3.
1. Something Burgundy: As I have mentioned before in this blog post this color is going to be everywhere. You may refer to it as Marsala, Wine, or even “Soft-Eggplant” but this purplish-red is making a major statement this Fall. Try the color out in a tie or custom dress shirt like this.
2. Brown: It goes with EVERYTHING so this is a no-brainer. Brown is back and layering the hues is even better. Perhaps pick up a waist coat to pair with your favorite brown blazer. You can even pair the color with black these days.
3. The Baggy Pant: Perhaps you just caught onto the more slim fit pant and don’t want to invest in another pair. Well, good news if you didn’t throw out the wide leg trousers, they are headed back our way.
4. The Long Scarf: I recommend keeping this trend reasonable with a nice below the front pocket length or just above the knee.
5. Oversized and 3/4 Length Coats: The skinny suit can hang on another few seasons for you if you add a slightly oversized coat to the mix. I like the length of this one and the twill pattern is unique.
What are your thoughts? Will you try any of these this Fall?
Follow me on Instagram @bestcustomshirt and Twitter MeghanHenley@bestcustomshirt
New Trends, Styles and Dressing Tips are revealed by renowned designer and wardrobe consultant, Janine Giorgenti.